Tuesday, September 30, 2008
If you have an older version of Microsoft Word, you might need to activate an option to check your grammar and spelling. You can do it by either going to Tools in the upper menu and then selecting Spelling and Grammar, or simply by pressing F7 on your keyboard. Of course, spell checking isn’t perfect and you have to spot some mistakes by yourself, but it should not be a problem if you are a careful reader of your posts.
Recently I noticed that the Wordpress platform allows bloggers for spell checking while they are writing their posts. From what I remember, this useful feature was not available in the past. Before this feature became available, many bloggers had to write their posts in Word document and then copy it to Wordpress, and then publish it. I am very happy that a feature like this exists.
1. You will have more than one desktop. This will give you more space to put all the necessary files you use. That can be quite handy if you work with many files like, for example, images.
2. Different monitors might be used for different purposes. One of them can be set to serve you as a working space (with emails etc) while another can be designated to serve as an entertainment station to play games, watch DVDs and listen to the music.
3. Many 3D games like Unreal Tournament or Microsoft’s Flight Simulator enable multiple monitors in order to enhance the gaming experience. Not many players have such a setup, but those who do, really appreciate it.
4. In business environments multiple monitors can be very handy as well, in order to allow employees to see more data on many monitors.
Ultimately, the decision whether to have a dual monitor setup is up to you, so you should take into account your needs.
Monday, September 29, 2008
Wireless devices might be “cool”, but they are less reliable, because you might run out of batteries at any time, especially if you are not watching their life. Secondly, wireless devices are more expensive, because you need to buy batteries for them, and even if you use rechargeable batteries, they will not last longer than 3 years.
Finally, I can say, that it is a matter of preference. If you do not mind taking care of your batteries on a regular basis, go for wireless devices. You will feel more comfortable knowing that you do not need to connect them anywhere, and that you can get rid of so many cables surrounding your computer.
Sunday, September 28, 2008
Saturday, September 27, 2008
A way to avoid it, and in my opinion, the best way to manage the pinging of your posts is to use PingShot. To enable it, log in to your Feedburner account, select your blog’s feed, go to publicize and ultimately to PingShot and after customizing it, activate it. As I indicated it is tied to Feedburner and it is a way to automatically ping various content aggregators as soon as the content changes, but additionally this list is going to be kept and maintained by PingShot, which means that all of the work will be done automatically. This is what I meant that pinging will not take you any time at all.
Friday, September 26, 2008
This is a really effective strategy, as there have been blogs like AnyWired or Logo Design Love which prove that. There is a saying, which says, that it is the hardest to earn your first million. It is also true, that establishing your first blog is the most challenging.
Once you already have one blog with many visitors, then starting a second successful one shouldn’t be that hard. Another advice that I can give you, is to start a blog with a similar topic to the one that you already have. That way, if you have already an established blog and the same readers keep coming to your blog on a regular basis, they will be more likely to come and visit your new blog, once they hear that your new blog is related to your older established blog.
Thursday, September 25, 2008
I have been thinking a lot about content quality lately, but I think I did not mention yet any general content quality guidelines. It is quite apparent that content quality is often subjective. On the other hand, we have to face the facts that there still exist general content guidelines that would apply to many blogs. Here they are:
• Thought-provoking. Your articles should be thought provoking. It doesn’t mean that all of them should be, but at least some of them as a lot of readers enjoy an intellectual challenge. Many thought-provoking articles are often controversial, so be prepared that not everyone might agree with what you have written.
• In a lot of cases entertainment is important. This might be especially true in personal blogs, probably less in business blogs. Posting humorous articles can make your blog more likeable by others.
• Uniqueness. Your posts need to be unique in a sense that you do not copy posts from other blogs. Your blog will not be considered high quality if you will be “copy-pasting”.
• Well researched posts. This simply means that you know what you are talking about and you might prove it by referencing to other websites or books.
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Making your windows look more milky could be very expensive as you would have to replace them almost completely. I found out about another solution though which is very cheap, and will guarantee your privacy.
You can do it yourself for as little as a few bucks. You can simply paint your windows with acrylic based wall glaze. In case something goes wrong or you will no longer wish to have milky windows, you can always take a credit or a phone card and remove it by scraping it. Sounds easy enough for me.
Wednesday, September 3, 2008
Be extremely careful while using any anti-adware or anti-spyware program that tells you that your computer is infected and you need to install a specific program or plug-in to fix this problem. Be very suspicious if a situation like that happens, as often it might be an spyware program itself which is trying to trick you to install even more malicious programs to your computer. Anyway, even thought malicious programs are very dangerous, if you have a reliable anti-spyware program installed you don’t need to panic.
However, it is important to have at least one program which will monitor whether there is spyware on your computer. I hope that after reading this you will be more aware of the dangers on internet, and because of it, will be able to avoid any problems.
As an example, let’s say you are interested in the domain name goodblog.com. You will soon probably discover that the name has been taken, but the site will suggest hundreds of domains with a similar name, out of which most of them will still be available. I could say a lot about the search options, but just take a look yourself, and bookmark it if you plan to buy a domain name in the near future. I surely benefited from the site, as like I mentioned, it saves a lot of time and allows you to find the perfect domain for yourself.
As an avid computer user, blogger and internet user myself, I am sure that I will have plenty to share, and I hope you will like my style of writing and content of this blog.
Generally speaking, this blog will focus on the topics mentioned above, but I might also write about other interesting things.
However, I plan to focus on the mission of this blog, so don’t worry that I will stop writing about the main topics. I can’t promise how often I will be posting, but I will do my best. I hope you will learn a lot from this blog!